Moringa oleifera is a plant that is often called the drumstick tree, the miracle tree, the ben oil tree or the horseradish tree. It has become a well-known tree in many parts of Ghana and the rest of West Africa. Moringa grows in many parts of the northern region in Ghana. It is also known to grow in the wild and has been used over the centuries without much known about its greatness. Many Ghanaians cannot afford the luxury of going to the hospital unless they are very ill. The demand for cheap and local herbs is therefore a reality and thousands of poor people revert to local medication not prescribed by doctors but recommended by friends or the media.
This is why Moringa has suddenly caught the public eye. Expects have gone beyond describing it as a mere nutritious supplement but is now known for its powerful role in preventing diseases and enhancing body resistance. It has been used for centuries due to its medicinal properties and health benefits, it also has antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant and anti – inflammatory properties. Moringa contains a variety of vitamins, minerals and proteins and is also extremely low in fats and contains no harmful cholesterol. Various parts of the fruits, flowers and the young pods are said to be heart simulants and to improve blood circulation.
Below are some other uses of Moringa
- Can be used in the preparation of stew and soup.
- The powder can be used as a tea or added to drinks.
- The leaves, back, flowers, fruits, seeds and roots are used for medicinal purposes.
- The oil from Moringa seeds is used in perfumes and hair care products.
- As an antioxidant.
- Can be used in the controlling of asthma, diabetes, obesity.
- Healing product for wounds and scars.
Benefits of Moringa
Moringa is believed to have many benefits ranging from health and beauty to helping prevent and cure diseases. Now let us have a look at some befits below.
- It protects and nourishes the skin and hair. Its oil is beneficial for protecting hair against free radicals and keep it clean and healthy and also contains hydrating and detoxifying elements, which also boost the skin.
- It is known in helping wounds to heal. Moringa extracts has been shown to help wounds close as well as reduce the appearance of scares.
- It is used in the treatment of edema. The anti – inflammatory properties of moringa may be effective in preventing edema from developing.
- It is thought to be helpful in the treatment of fatigue and depression.
- It can lower your cholesterol levels, potentially reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- It contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that fight infections.
- Its powder has the soothing ability which enables it to lower the blood pressure and promote good sleep. It is a natural remedy for insomnia as it possesses certain properties that can treat sleeping disorders.
Although Moringa may have lots of benefits, there have been very few side effects and it is advised to consider consulting a healthcare professional before using for dedicational purposes.
Treat loved ones, colleagues, family and friends with some of Moringa’s range of products i.e., shower gel, body lotion and cream, shampoo, liquid soaps and tea.