FOODIE FINDS – WHERE TO BUY FRESH FISH, ORGANIC VEG & MORE
Certain foods can evoke the most precious memories… happy times with friends and family, a special occasion, or a particular place. We all have our favourite meal, or comforting snack, and being in a foreign country can make us miss them even more than usual. So, you may find yourself in Ghana wanting to recreate ratatouille, ramen, or risotto, but not knowing where to find a key ingredient. Not to worry… this list of foodie finds is sure to point you in the right direction. Let’s go shopping chefs!
FRESH FISH & SEAFOOD
The best bargains on fresh fish and seafood are undoubtedly to be found at the Tema Fish Market. Best polish up your bargaining skills though… get the gutting and filetting thrown into the price and you’ll have yourself a deal. For fish from further afield, and a far less chaotic – albeit pricier – shopping experience, the fish counter at MaxMart is a winner. Canoe Beach has an excellent choice too. Why not enjoy some fresh sushi at the same time?
- Tema Fish Market – opposite the Starkist plant, near the fishing harbour, Tema
- Max Mart fishmonger – 37, East Legon & Tema – 0302 999 979
- Canoe Beach Fish Shop & Sushi Grill Bar – Cantonments, Accra – 057 775 5890
If you’ve ever been to a braai (South African BBQ) you’ll know that South Africans take their meat very very seriously, and the premium quality of the pre-packaged imported cuts from Butcher Boyz are no exception. However, if you’re looking for meats cut fresh to order, then the French-speaking butcher at Marina Mall Supermarket is your main man. Koala and Shoprite have good fresh and packaged meat offerings. Palace, Game, Fairway, and Farmer’s Market offer high quality frozen meats.
- Butcher Boyz – Airport Residential, Accra – 055 772 7774
- Marina Mall Supermarket – Airport Bypass, Accra – 030 702 0858
- Koala Supermarket – Osu, Cantonments & Airport Res, Accra
- Shoprite – Achimota, Accra Mall, Osu, Junction Mall, West Hills Mall, etc.
- The Farmer’s Market – Labone, East Legon & Tema – 050 148 1140 / 1135
- Fairway Mini Market – Labone, Accra – 024 888 8800
- Palace Hypermarket – Spintex Road, Accra – 050 083 3444
- Game – Achimota, Accra Mall, West Hills Mall & Kumasi
FRUIT & VEG
With the prevelance of parasitic contamination in vegetables highlighted by recent studies in Ghana, as well as relatively little regulation of pesticides and other chemicals used in farming in the country, sourcing your fresh produce from a trusted supplier is essential. Thankfully there are some great organic produce suppliers in Accra, including Garden2Plates, Sowgreen Organic, and So-B-Green. The large supermarkets generally stock high quality commercially grown fresh fruit and veg. Stores like The Farmer’s Market are also a good option for this.
Market and roadside stalls trusted by many expats are the ones at Labone Green Market, and Mary’s table top stand next to the Italian Embassy. With any roadside stall it’s always worth asking where the produce was grown, and where the stall holder has bought it from. It’s best to avoid any fresh produce that’s been bought or sold through the market at Agbogbloshie in the centre of Accra, where it’s likely to have been contaminated by the thick toxic smoke from the adjacent e-waste dump. And remember, if you don’t find what you need, you can always grown your own!
- Garden2Plates – Cantonments, Accra – 050 388 3838
- Sowgreen Organic – WEB Du Bois Centre Market, Labone, Accra – 024 123 4234
- So-B-Green – East Airport, Accra – 054 711 5633
- The Farmer’s Market – Labone, East Legon, Spintex & Tema – 050 148 1140
- Labone Green Market – Labone Coffee Shop, Accra
- Mary’s fruit & veg stand – Next to the Italian Embassy, Jewarhlal Nehru Road, Cantoments, Accra
With the lack of a large commercial dairy industry in Ghana fresh dairy products will often leave you gasping at their imported price tags. However, if you live in Accra there is a fresh dairy milk, yoghurt, paneer and ghee supplier who might be able to help. Dominic runs a very small operation, so be sure to order well in advance. His products are pasteurised, but not homogenised.
- Emadom Milk– Medina, Accra – 0264 661 485 / 0243 223 421 / 0575 223 421 (Dominic)
Shocked at those insipid pale yokes? Craving an egg with a bright yellow sunshine center? We’ve got your back. Along with her lovely homemade pasta, Irene sells the most beautiful free-range eggs. But you’ll have to get to her stall at the Labone Green Market bright and early because they seel out fast. George delivers his delicious eggs (usually on Sundays), and you’ll need to order in advance.
- Irene’s Homemade Pasta – Labone Green Market (see above) – 024 310 9681
- George – deliveries in Accra – 024 612 7255 (Whatsapp)
For many there’s nothing better than a loaf of bread fresh out of the oven. For remarkably good artisan French breads look no further than La Boul’ Accra. BreadBox is another good option for homemade loaves. For larger orders, or if you’re in a hurry, Palace and La Galette offer the best commercially baked breads. Otherwise the larger supermarkets all offer a reasonable range of baked items. For delicious gluten-free goodies The Gluten Free Bakers have a super selection of breads, biscuits and more.
- La Boul’ Accra – deliveries / collections in Accra – 050 577 5698
- BreadBox Accra – 055 941 4509
- Palace Hypermarket
- La Galette – Spintex Road, Accra – 024 675 2429
- The Gluten Free Bakers – Cantonments, Accra – 055 550 2237
VEGAN & HEALTH FOOD ALTERNATIVES
Health conscious shoppers will no doubt be looking to stock up on their favourite brands of flaxseed, fennel tea and allergy-free flours. These are all catered for at Accra’s few, but fabulous, health food stores and market stalls. Both the weekly Labone Green Market, and the monthly Green Butterfly Market at the WEB du Bois Centre, have stall holders offering a variety of health foods from local and well-known international brands. If you’re wanting a wider range of products then the three stores listed below are virtual treasure troves for any health nut.
- Relish Health Shop– Osu, Accra – 030 277 3590
- Thrive Whole Foods – East Legon, Accra – 026 377 3445
- Simply Healthy Ghana – Labone, Accra – 026 301 7385
If youre looking for specific ingredients from Asia, then the following shops might interest you. They’re worth visiting at some point anyway as the heady mix of flavours and aromas found within are an experience of their own, and might just inspire you onto your next experimental cooking adventure.
- Great Wall Supermarket (East Asian foods) – Danquah Circle, Osu – 0302 778 916
- Saagar Supermarket (South Asian foods) – 10th St, Osu, Accra – 024 426 4782
- Rajni Supermarket (South Asian foods) – North Kaneshi & Osu – 0503 444 352
- Rabboni Oriental – Mitchell Rd, Community 8, Tema – 054 380 1906
- Asiana (Korean) – Hospital Rd, Community 5, Tema – 020 569 6415
GENERAL GROCERY ITEMS
For most other general groceries and cleaning materials the larger supermarkets are your best bet.
- Marina Mall Supermarket
- Palace Hypermarket
- Koala Supermarket
- Fairway Mini Market
We hope you’ve found this list useful. Have you found an excellent ingredient supplier that isn’t mentioned here? Let us know! We’d love to share any exciting foodie finds with our followers.