TV’S, TOASTERS & TOOLS – WHERE TO BUY YOUR BASICS
Rental homes in Ghana can come with various levels of furnishings and appliances, or none at all. Have you decided to let a fully furnished property for your West African home? Or have all your furniture shipped over from your last expat post? You may still find yourself missing a couple of crucial items. Perhaps some essential appliances, handy DIY tools, or just a lightbulb or three? But where can you buy these basics?
Don’t waste time trawling the nearest town. Check out our list below, and you’ll know exactly where to go for TV’s, toasters, tools, and everything else in between. Some of these stores have branches in Ghana’s major cities, but most are located in Accra. So, if you’re going to be living in one of the country’s smaller towns or in a rural area, it would be best to stock up in Accra or Kumasi before you head out there.
ELECTRICALS & APPLIANCES
- Bang & Olufsen (Atlantic Tower) – TVs and sound systems.
- City Lights – general electricals, lamps, fixtures, alarm systems, doorbells, security systems, CCTV systems, etc.
- CompuGhana – computers, electronic devices and household appliances such as fridges, freezers, etc.
- Electroland – official dealers of Samsung electronic gadgets and Nasco appliances.
- Game – stocks fridges, stoves, TVs, computers, printers, and various other electrical items. Some solar-powered items.
- Kaiser Kitchen Appliances – home appliances and electrical items.
- Max Mart 37 – home appliances & small household electrical items
- Melcom – home and kitchen appliances, mobile phones and accessories, IT accessories.
- Orca Déco – small household appliances.
- Palace – exclusive agent in Ghana of Kitchenaid, Samsung, LG, Beko, Sony, and various other international brands.
- Shoprite (Accra Mall) – small household appliances.
- Somotex – sole distributors of LG electronics.
- Starlite – computers & computer accessories.
- iStore Ghana (Accra Mall) – Apple authorized reseller & Apple authorized service center.
- Telefonika – TVs, music systems, phones, and other gadgets.
- Whirlpool Ghana Limited – Whirlpool-branded home appliances.
FURNITURE & DÉCOR
The stores listed below will cover most of your basic furniture & décor requirements. However, if you’re looking for more unique pieces and personalised service, check out our previous post “Top 15 Places to Buy Furniture & Home Décor in Accra”.
- Ashfoam or Latex Foam – mattresses, pillows, linen, sofa sets, and some basic décor items.
- Game –Dulux paint stockiest. Also sells curtains, bed linens, and décor items.
- Melcom – bedsheets, picture frames, vases, decorative piece, home and office furniture.
- Palace Hypermarket – outdoor furniture, curtains, linens, picture frames, décor items, pillows, duvets, etc.
- Orca Déco – wide range of home décor, tableware and furniture.
- Una Home – household linen and decorative items such as rugs, bedsheets, duvets, curtains and blinds.
TABLEWARE & COOKING UTENSILS
- Game – sells sets of crockery, cutlery, glassware, kitchen utensils, pots, pans, and kitchen appliances.
- Max Mart – offers a variety of kitchen and dining items from international brands.
- Melcom – Affordable dining and kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Palace Hypermarket – exclusive agent in Ghana of Pyrex and various other international brands. Also stocks multiple options of cooking utensils, pots, pans, tableware, crockery, and other kitchen equipment.
- Orca Déco – stocks more decorative ranges of crockery, cutlery, glassware, kitchen utensils, and dining items.
- Shoprite – basic tableware, crockery, kitchen equipment and appliances.
TOOLS & DIY EQUIPMENT
- Game – stocks Dulux paints, good quality tools, and all the things required for most DIY and garden projects.
- Palace Hypermarket – exclusive agent in Ghana of Stanley, Black & Decker, and various other international brands. Has an excellent range of tools & DIY equipment.
- Shoprite – offers a small range of tools for home and garden maintenance.
- Palace Hypermarket
- Some pharmacies.
- Jumia Ghana – the countries largest online retailer and claims to stock over 2 million products and 820 national and international brands.
- GH Mall – gives you the opportunity to buy all your electronics, home appliances, mobile phones, and many other more from any of the shopping malls in Ghana on this online platform and have them delivered directly to you.
- Shop ‘n Ship – fellow Amazon addicts this is the answer for you! Buy goods from renowned retailers in the UK & US, have them delivered to you at home in Ghana. And you can still pay in Cedis.
- Zoobashop offers a wide variety of products, which can be delivered to addresses in Accra and Tema.
Not found what you’re looking for? Request to join the relevant Facebook Groups below to get tips and advice from fellow expats on where to find specific things, and which service providers you can trust.
- Expat Parents in Ghana
- Expat Pet Owners in Ghana
- Ghana Intl Expats
- GIE Ladies Community
- Les Bons Plans d’Accra (Francophone group)
- Mummy and Me – Ghana
- Vegan Ghana
* TOP TIP: for all sensitive electrical items that remain plugged in most of the time, such as fridges, computers, and TVs, it’s best to use a voltage surge protector. This will protect your appliance from damage when the power supply to your property fluctuates during Dumsor (power cuts).